Music Assignment

Nineties: Chumbawamba - "Tubthumping"

I chose this band and this song for many reasons, one being that tub thumping was the only popular song released by Chumbawamba. Second, Chumbawamba's tub thumping is a song I would choose if someone ever asked me what song embodied the 90's for me. I can still remember being a kid sitting in the car or in a restaurant and hearing this song, it is one of my favorite songs from the 90's and I still put it on from time to time while I am drinking. Finally, this song was released in 1997 and since this genre was the nineties it definitely fit the criteria. I think the nineties music was full of experimentation of sounds and blending of different genres in to one, it definitely to me was an age of somewhat trying to discover a musical identity; Tubthumping and Chumbawamba in general fit this same sort of blending of genre as it could fit many different one.






Techno: Ratatat - "Wildcat"

I chose this band because they have been around since the time I first discovered what techno music was. I compared Ratatat to the same liking of Daft Punk, who was already added to the artists for this genre. Ratatat clearly fits into technology because a majority, if not all of there music, is produced electronically.  I picked this song because it was the first of their songs I ever heard when my friend showed it to me in 7th grade, and we would have fun imitating the cat noise in the song.







Dubstep: Rusko - "Woo Boost"

I chose this song because it was the first dubstep song I had ever heard, in 2010. I still listen to this song at the gym and I thoroughly enjoy it. It definitely fits the genre of Dubstep with its heavy beat that you find yourself nodding your head to the beat without even realizing it. Furthermore, it fits the technological side of this genre as it his the very distinct "wobble" of the bass that I feel like truly defines dubstep and in my life is what drew the line between "techno" that I would listen to growing up, and "dubstep" that I would listen to and go to parties and concerts for in my early adult years. I also enjoy this song's music video because it seems old school in the film quality and other aspects and is ironic as we talk about technology and its advances.





Punk: Green Day - "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"

I believe Green Day should definitely be on the list for punk. When I think of punk music the first band that comes to mind is Green Day. I grew up listening to them while I skateboarding and wanted to be a rebel to society, and they were the perfect fuel for this. I chose this song because I remember having the American Idiot CD (which the anti establishment definitely fits the punk genre) and listening to it on my walkman in the back of the bus.






Girl Power: Aretha Franklin - "Respect"


I chose this song because it is definitely a song that practically everyone knows. This definitely is worthy of this genre as it is demanding respect for women, and is even the title of the song. This song is definitely at the forefront of the girl power genre as it was released in 1967. Furthermore, it is a black woman who was singing it, which was definitely a risky move for not only a woman but a black woman at this time. I think Aretha Franklin paved the way for other female artists to follow in her footsteps for girl power.








Comments

Popular Posts