Time Based Media Animation: "The Adventures of Captain Social Life"







I created this animation as a representation of the life of practically every college student. College students struggle to maintain a balance between our homework, attending class, studying for exams, staying healthy, getting enough sleep, and tied in with all this we still have to maintain a social life. I know this animation at least for me personally, is a literal representation of how I have felt leaving class on a Friday excited to go out drinking, only to come crashing down Monday morning when I have class. While we know the consequences of hanging out with friends and drinking, it is still an almost necessary thing that allows us to decompress from our stressful lives, no matter the cost we may pay for taking such a break, in order to "fly away" from our problems. The animation goes to show even superheroes can't escape the inevitable fate of taking a night off either. I decided at the very last minute to add Enrique Iglesias's "Hero" because without music it seemed a little too quite, and I could not think of any better song than this to play over the animation. The record scratch and stopping of the music add to the dramatic effect of crashing into the wall of responsibilities at the end.




















I knew I was not the best artist going into this, so I had set out to focus a majority of the animation on the actual title itself. I wanted to experiment with different speeds of transitions from letters to letters, as well as how the words appeared. Finally, I was inspired by the opening to Rugrats by having a zig-zag outlining the title that seemed like it was moving.



I had a hard time creating an animation of a crash, but found it necessary to have a literal crash of Captain Social Life into a wall composed of "school, homework, exams, sleep, and health." I also really wanted to have the animation end the same way it started to at least hint that this was not the first or last time Captain Social Life has done this same thing (as all college students repeat this same mistake almost every weekend) but I ran out of frames to end it in such a way.

Comments

Popular Posts