Exploring Christopher Johnson's ASCII Art Collection

    I began viewing ASCII art on Christopher Johnson's ASCII art collection. I found this collection of art work pretty interesting because I have rarely seen any artwork done in this manner. The little art I have viewed that is considered to be ASCII art, has been very simple pieces and I prior to learning about what ASCII is, I simply did not view the pieces as art. In Johnson's collection there was a ride variety of categories of art pieces, but furthermore the pieces were done in a variety of ways.

    The first way in which I noticed the ASCII art pieces to be done was using simple lines created with dashes, capitals "I," ones, hyphens, and parenthesis to form the outlines of shapes and objects. I personally found these pieces to be somewhat boring; furthermore, I do not think they were really that aesthetically appealing. These simple shapes reminded me of the original emojis prior to the advent of actual smiley faces and things of that nature. These pieces in my eyes took on a very childish nature and I feel as though they were lacking any true effort in making them.

    The Second way in which I found that these pieces were made, was by utilizing an array of keyboard characters to shade pictures, and the empty (white) space was what actually formed the art work. I have never viewed any art work like this before in my life, and I was very impressed with the quality of the pieces. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the many pieces offered in Johnson's collection that followed this form of ASCII art. I felt as though these pieces took true ingenuity from the artist to form the negative space into the actual object or picture, and how he utilized different characters to shape such spaces, as well as utilizing an array of characters to add different depths of shading to the pieces. In addition to this form of ASCII art, I also observed one other main way in which the pieces were made, and it was similar to this method; except this type of method utilized the characters on the keyboard to make and shade the artworks. While more traditional in nature, compared to the negative space method, I still feel as though these pieces took true ingenuity from the artist to create. Overall, I truly enjoyed exploring ASCII art, and can honestly say I had never known about this type of art before, or at least never viewed it as art before.

Comments

Popular Posts